Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Brennen's African Birthday

Today is Brennen's 15th birthday!!  The day dawned looking like this:

Still gray and cloudy

Brennen with her birthday "ice cream" cake and sparkling candles

We decided to do something we hadn't done yet - and headed off to the Emdoneni Lodge Cat Rehabilitation Center.  This was the highlight of Spencer's trip to Africa.

Here is what we saw and did:


This is a Caracal.   It is related to the Lynx and is an amazing jumper.


It was feeding time and he was jumping to get his dinner. (some raw chicken)


This is a Serval.  Also a great jumper.



Licking out the feeding bucket.


We also saw African Wildcats, but they look pretty much like your regular house cat.  The highlight was this:

This is a 2 year old male Cheetah.




There were 2 male and 2 female Cheetahs.  This is one of the males.

After Spencer's picture, he said, "Okay, I can die now."  He spent the rest of the day scheming how he is going to get a pet Cheetah.


We learned a few things about Cheetahs:  They have non-retractable claws (and they are pretty vicious looking), they can run 120km per hour (75 mph) for 400 meters then need a break, there are only 7,000 Cheetahs left in South Africa and only 1 species left, their tails are basically the steering wheel and the brakes, they 'meow', and even tame - they are still a little scary sometimes.













3 comments:

  1. Pretty sure I would always remember if I pet a Cheetah for my birthday...wow! I didn't know this was up until Natasha told me about it. Don't worry, I am now a dedicated follower! Love this whole adventure!

    P.S.--Lisa, I forgot how curly your hair gets when it's humid! Mine is in limp waves (mostly because it's SO humid here my hair doesn't feel like it ever completely dries)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya after watching Disney's "African Cats" I don't think that I would be able to sit down next to that kitty! You guys are brave! Looks like so much fun though!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT? You PET a CHEETAH??? I didn't even know that was possible! Amazing. Happy Birthday Brennen!

    ReplyDelete